WPF in F#

March 26, 2009

I am always delighted when somebody converts the code in one of my books to another programming language. For well over a year, John Liao's Blog has been tackling chapters from my WPF book Applications = Code + Markup and converting the code into F#, the functional programming language developed at Microsoft. F# inventor Don Syme has provided a convenient guide to John Liao's postings on WPF and F#, not all of them focused on my book:

Learning WPF through F#, and vice versa, by John Liao

I've been able to explore F# myself just a little, but I hope to have the opportunity for total immersion sometime in the future.

Comments:

Hey Charles,

'Cause of your well-known interest in music, MIDI devices and programming in general, maybe you should check this:

It's brilliant text about using functional programming in music. Very interesting!

— Igor, Sat, 28 Mar 2009 05:33:06 -0400 (EDT)

I too hope you have the opportunity for total F# WPF SL & VS '08&/'10, with some Expression & TPL immersion sometime in the real near future; keeping in mind many/multi-core CPU/GPU's.

I'd like to see re-castings of:

- Guy Cousineau's (co-author of "The Functional Approach to Programming"), "Tiling as a programming exercise". ACM Portal.

- Craig S. Kaplan and David H. Salesin's "Escherization". SIGGRAPH

- something along the lines of Hudak's book "Learning Functional Programming Through Multimedia"

Thanks.

Peace, love and happiness

Art Scott, Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:45:32 -0400 (EDT)

The initial problem is figuring out how to get paid for writing about F#. It's highly unlikely that a book about F# will sell more than a few thousand copies, for example. — Charles

Somebody told me that Peter Seibel's "Practical Common Lisp" (http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Common-Lisp-Peter-Seibel/dp/1590592395) are sold in incredibly many copies despite the fact that book is also available for free.

Maybe you just have to find appropriate niche, just like Seible had with Lisp. Think about that. Maybe you just have to leave Microsoft's camp and write one excelent Haskell book. The world desperately needs one!

— Igor, Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:55:01 -0400 (EDT)

Charles, don't listen to these hypocrites, the moment your F# book(say you finally able to write one) is published , they going to rush to torrent sites, and snipe you in back by downloading it.Only place your book will rest is likely to be in Library or in store room of publishers.

I bought so many book over the years and people call be stupid , because I don't download them using torrent sites.

Regards

— novacon, Mon, 27 Apr 2009 00:44:41 -0400 (EDT)

Igor: that book is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

— rei, Thu, 9 Jul 2009 06:15:07 -0400 (EDT)

FWIW, my F# for Technical Computing book is currently earning me around $1,200 each month now.

Jon Harrop, Mon, 15 Mar 2010 01:52:33 -0400