New Book: “Programming Windows Phone 7 Series”

March 15, 2010
MIX 2010, Las Vegas

I am pleased to announce the publication later this year of a new book Programming Windows Phone 7 Series:

www.charlespetzold.com/phone

The complete book will be available as a free download later this year. To help get you started with Silverlight and XNA programming on the Windows Phone 7 Series right now, six chapters from the book are now available. Follow the links on www.charlespetzold.com/phone.

Comments:

Hojotoho!!

— Walkie, Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:01:06 -0400

Great news that you didn't stop writing books!! You are my favorite .NET author.. and I was starting to think that you gave up!!! When can I order a copy?

All the best..

— Anthony, Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:46:17 -0400

Fantastic news, and congratulations on getting to do this title.

P.S. The source code download link is currently broken.

— Philip the Duck, Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:09:24 -0400

Very instant and I can imagine how this stuff will fill up our world just in a few months!..

All the best!...

— Arif at Sydney, Tue, 16 Mar 2010 02:34:21 -0400

That's the icing on what was already a pretty nifty cake.

Thanks Charles for pointing the way for us yet again.

Kevin Daly, Tue, 16 Mar 2010 02:44:45 -0400

Cool im looking forward to it.

With silverlight 4 is it possible to create your classic xaml only clock.

I can get current datetime from calendar using the method on

http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/t/155493.aspx but im unsure about the transform calculations.

— slyi, Tue, 16 Mar 2010 05:19:33 -0400

Cheers!

— David Ratnasabapathy, Tue, 16 Mar 2010 05:28:29 -0400

Congratulations Charles, Excellent work. Microsoft community is very proud of you!

— Dimitris Iliopoulos, Tue, 16 Mar 2010 05:37:48 -0400

Good to hear about your new book and I can't wait to read it.

Why can't i open the downloaded files? both PDF and XPS can not be opend.

Li Ji, Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:11:47 -0400

I am halfway through the preview book now. Great book. The humor makes me laugh out loud. This is a must read and I sent the link to everyone I know.

I am a Silverlight developer (actually a Silverlight MVP), but, I love that I am also learning XNA. If I want to be a Windows Phone 7 developer I should be familiar with both Silverlight and XNA, right?

Oh and I emailed the .pdf download to my Kindle so that's why I have been able to read so much in such a short period of time :) yes, yes, the code samples are not formatted correctly but the great words that you have written come through just fine :)

I imagine it must have been hard to get the preview written so fast so let me say that WE APPRECIATE YOU. And yes I will buy the full copy when it comes out and read it cover to cover.

Michael Washington, Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:57:18 -0400

Great to hear. Windows Phone 7 Series closes a big hole in the MS world. We finally have a mobile target for Silverlight and of course XNA opens a whole new realm for 3D web stuff too.

The Petzold legend continues!

randy george, Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:13:02 -0400

Do you know if Win Phone 7 will support bluetooth like RFCOMM etc?

— Zen, Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:28:54 -0400

Great news!

"Your 3D programming for Windows" helped me the most for using Silverlight with 3D.

Now if Novell Mono brings Silverlight to Apple iPhone/iPad, and if MonoDroid brings Siverlight to Google Android phones then phone programmers might have found the best development platform to develop phone apps!

— Ned Nedson, Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:16:10 -0400

Excellent!

— gmong, Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:32:37 -0400

Just curios how much advance you get for writing this book?

— Gotta, Fri, 26 Mar 2010 04:26:00 -0400

So good to have you back! I am relieved to see that you did not freeze to death during the long winter of your discontent. All new tools of course, laid out with your consistent STYLE...and both XNA and SILVERLIGHT..that is just a treat... but something about this feels very much like a return to a bygone era where a programmer dealt with an actual machine; an actual thing, with the goal to make IT do nice tricks...I LIKE IT! There is something HUMAN SCALE about this that should get a lot of play!

And I'll buy the book too...of course.:)

jd

John, Mon, 29 Mar 2010 00:12:27 -0400

Thank you for letting us learn for free. I love your work. Daniel/Romania

— Daniel, Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:04:48 -0500

Hi ! Your book does seem quite informative and interesting. XNA and Silverlight is a fascinating technology.

I primarily work on Android. Wonder how Windows 7 Phones will be like if you compare them with Droid or Nexus 1.

What edge does Windows Mobile would offer that is not there in Android or iPhone.

Web Hosting, Mon, 22 Nov 2010 02:43:23 -0500

First of all thank you so much for such a wonderful contribution.

Not sure if the book is finished or still in progress.

One concept worth including is the "Launchers" and "Choosers" API. I read the book multiple times to pick the concepts comparable to Implicit and Explicit intent in android to re-use core features like phone dialer and contacts.

Thanks again.