New Title! More Chapters!

August 2, 2010

According to the Microsoft Press blog, my book-in-progress Programming Windows Phone 7 Series now has a new title, Programming Windows Phone 7:

To celebrate VS Live (currently taking place without me in Redmond), Microsoft Press is releasing a second "draft preview" of the book containing several new chapters. All code has been updated for the public beta of the Windows Phone 7 Development Tools dated July 26 and available through the Windows Phone 7 developers portal.

I'll be updating my links to the book later today; meanwhile, you can download the new preview through links on the Microsoft Press blog entry.

The complete book will also be a free download, and will be unveiled in conjuction with this year's PDC in late October.

Comments:

Thanks! I was really waiting for this book!

Bats Ihor, Thu, 5 Aug 2010 08:21:39 -0400

I bet you never programed iPhone app because you are all Microsoft store and perhaps not even allowed by Microsoft to even work on any technology other than Microsoft. Its obvious Windows Phone 7 will see similar fate as of KIN.

— Jose, Mon, 9 Aug 2010 23:23:57 -0400

I knew Steve Jobs was ruthless, but I never guessed he would send a trained assassin to infiltrate my blog and fire deadly barbs of scorching insults. — Charles

Why no pictures on msdn? WP7 is supposed to be the be-all-gorgeous-savior and never any pictures of anything, anywhere except the same, stupid tiles start. Boggles da noggin.

BTW, you used the word titles for tiles up there somewhere.

— Slacker, Sun, 15 Aug 2010 01:59:47 -0400

> Why no pictures on msdn?

Why are you complaining to me? I'm a freelance writer. I don't have anything to do with MSDN.

OTOH, the new preview edition of my book Programming Windows Phone 7 has 64 screen shots, and the book is only about 1/3 complete. — Charles

Have read Excerpt 2. Still up to ass in alligators and need another excerpt before October.

— Dave, Tue, 17 Aug 2010 06:56:27 -0400

Then the link you give to a link supposed to be on an msdn blog, is to an online book that has no pictures. I see no pictures. It does not seem to be a book, but more online stuff. Do you have a _direct_ link to this book of yours? Nothing on the blog (msdn blog) has any mention of you or your book. OK, link now must be fixed. Before it was to a general front page. Nevermind.

— Slacker2, Sat, 21 Aug 2010 22:38:10 -0400

I started reading the excerpts and got interested but as someone who has never programed it was overwhelming and so I bought your book "progamming in the keynof c# and have started reading it.

Thanks for making this available.

Stephen k. Borders, Sat, 4 Sep 2010 11:08:41 -0400

The Microsoft.Windows.Controls namespace contains extensions to Silverlight for the phone, including the PhoneApplicationPage class.

Is this a new thing? Look closlier.

I'll skip the ending-with-from bit. Gets me when I read it a book from.

— Book Em Danno, Thu, 9 Sep 2010 11:21:29 -0400

Thank you for finding that error. As the Introduction clearly states, this is a work in progress; it hasn't been proofed. If you're not willing to accept those limitations, perhaps you'd be happier waiting until the final edition is published later this year. — Charles

Let me begin with the low-level touch interface in Silverlight by dissecting a class called TouchPoint, an instance of which represents a particular finger touching the screen.

This is a sentence of some type. I can tell by the period at the end. The "Let me begin with" begins the mess.

If we wait for the proof, the pudding may not be any better. This is a "free:" book. At least the pages won't come out in bunches like MS Press books always do.

Fall 2010 begins in 12 ... You've got your work cut out for you. What if someone beats you to it? First always beats free.

— Book Em Danno, Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:47:57 -0400

Just downloaded, it will take some time to read & digest...

But wanted to say THANKS!!!! sooner then that.

— erez, Mon, 1 Nov 2010 08:42:32 -0400