Programming Windows 6th Edition Preview Ebook Is Here!

May 17, 2012

The long-awaited 6th edition of Programming Windows is scheduled to be published by Microsoft Press in November 2012, but you can purchase the ebook direct from the O'Reilly website today:

Programming Windows, 6th edition

Why would you want to do that? I can think of three reasons:

1. If you purchase the ebook in November, it will cost $50. If you purchase it today, it costs $10. This $10 price will only be in effect during these last two weeks of May.

2. If you purchase the ebook in November, you'll have to wait until then to get it. If you purchase it now, you can download a preview ebook of nearly 300 pages containing the first 7 chapters of the book today. By purchasing the book and installing the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Visual Studio, you can be developing Windows 8 Metro style applications this afternoon.

3. If you purchase the ebook today, you'll also be able to download a second preview ebook based on the Release Preview of Windows 8 a couple months from now.

It's a Win-Win-Win situation!

Comments:

Just to clarify: For a single $10 investment now (before the end of May), you get:

1. The Consumer Preview ebook now.

2. The Release Preview ebook a couple months from now.

3. The final ebook in November.

— Charles

Great news for all Windows developers. But one question: how "final" are these pre-release books? I mean how much of these early chapters will change in the final ebook?

— Jonas, Thu, 17 May 2012 11:27:08 -0400

That's hard to tell. In part it depends on the Release Preview and final release of Windows 8 itself. Any changes in the APIs that affect these first few chapters will require changes, of course. But I'll try to keep track of what I change so you won't have to entirely reread lots of stuff in the subsequent releases. — Charles

Bought it earlier this morning! My compliments to you!

Philip White, Thu, 17 May 2012 11:47:51 -0400

Bought it this morning. Looking good so far, and awesome deal!

— Tom, Thu, 17 May 2012 12:36:41 -0400

I purchased and downloaded the book early this morning and have already read the first two chapters. This looks like a great way to buy a book on this new technology; i.e., get information now and not have to wait six months after the final Windows 8 release. Great Idea. Good work.

— Terry, Thu, 17 May 2012 13:20:04 -0400

Just purchased this morning (Spanish time). And just starting reading it!

It's a great idea to be able to reach a book in parallel of development for "early 'programmadopters'" ;-)

— RFOG, Thu, 17 May 2012 13:54:35 -0400

Kupione. Teraz trzeba przeczytać... (This is in polish)

— mmm777, Thu, 17 May 2012 15:07:04 -0400

Thanks for writing the book and this incredible deal!

Richard Guion, Thu, 17 May 2012 17:22:59 -0400

Well, I took the plunge! I know that I will be pleased with this book. Thank you for your great work Charles! :)

Darren Tebo, Thu, 17 May 2012 17:24:17 -0400

Thanks! I love Windows 8. I just bought it as this is incredible deal. But is it me or the fonts quality is very bad (PDF)?

— kimsk, Fri, 18 May 2012 00:10:56 -0400

Hello Charles, first of all, thank you for your continued effort on bring to us some of the greatest explanations on this beautiful activity Programming, I just bought my copy and start the reading, so greetings for this new book, and thank you again and cheers from Mexico city.

— Fernando Perulles, Fri, 18 May 2012 01:42:53 -0400

Bought the book today.

Being one of the winners of the Windows 8 First Apps contest, I do remember how difficult it was to understand the know-how of Windows 8 without much documentation. I do remember the endless nights I spent talking to the guys at Microsoft to get answers to my numerous doubts. I surely wished at that time if a book like this were available then.

I love Windows 8 and I love the job you are doing with this book. One cannot and should not miss this...

Cheers!

Ratish Philip, Fri, 18 May 2012 12:53:36 -0400

Hi,

I went in http://shop.oreilly.com and found it was $50.00. Do I need any promotion code for $10.00 special?

Thanks

— Joe, Mon, 21 May 2012 02:34:59 -0400

I bought your ebook this morning (I have already the fourth edition and I liked it so much).

But I was charged $50 by the O'Reilly web site.

Do you know why?

Regards

pascal beringer, Mon, 21 May 2012 05:16:32 -0400

I wanted to order to book last night but didn't do so and today the ebook is back to 50 USD instead of 10 USD.

Is that on purpose?

Ido Ran, Mon, 21 May 2012 05:27:50 -0400

hmmm, I just purchased your book and it appears I was charged $50. At what point is the discount applied?!

Keano16, Mon, 21 May 2012 05:40:37 -0400

There seems to be a screw-up. I'm sure that "it can only be attributable to human error," but I'll let you know when it's resolved. — Charles (@ app. 6:30 EDT, 21 May 2012)

Same here, I want to participate on this offer but can't.

I will check back in a day or two days time. Hopefully it will have been resolved by then.

— Ibrar Mumtaz, Mon, 21 May 2012 06:42:39 -0400

I got started writing Windows programs using "Programming Windows 3.1 3rd Edition" (I still have that copy too). Keep up the great work Charles, and thanks to you and O'Riley for the discount opportunity. I'll be taking advantage of the deal later this week.

Kevin Rucker, Mon, 21 May 2012 10:15:10 -0400

Looks like the $10 promotional offer is back in effect. I even checked my real-time credit card statement online and saw that O'Reilly did charge only $10.

— Dave Salmonson, Mon, 21 May 2012 10:24:54 -0400

The price is back to $10 now. I just got it.

— Bruce, Mon, 21 May 2012 10:34:30 -0400

I downloaded the book from O'Reilly for only $10. They must have fixed the glitch. Unless the deal's only available in the US?

Guy Wade, Mon, 21 May 2012 11:10:27 -0400

The computer glitch has been fixed. The price is $10 regardless where you are. — Charles

Thanks, Charles - great to have such a bargain, thank you for making it available at such a steal! (Working fine now outside the US.)

I no longer have my well-thumbed copy of "Programming Windows 3.1" but hope that this will be as useful!

— Steve Craddock, Mon, 21 May 2012 16:21:31 -0400

I downloaded the book and have started reading. The content is very understandable and accurate in every side. Very valuable and thanks for your great effort.

— Jay Lee, Mon, 21 May 2012 17:07:46 -0400

Thanks for the great offer. I've been a long time reader, though not as long as some of the people on here. I started with Programming Microsoft Windows with C#, and also read .NET Book Zero, Applications = Code + Markup, Programming Microsoft Windows Forms and Programming Microsoft Windows Phone 7. Looking forward to another great read. Thanks again. =)

— Flynn Arrowstarr, Mon, 21 May 2012 17:54:15 -0400

My Windows experience started with Windows 3.1, and your "Windows Programming" book for Windows 3.1 was the first one that I've read on the subject.

Thank you very much that you help me to stay on the edge of Microsoft technologies. I believe in the success of Windows 8 (and further Windows 9, ...) and I'm sure that a lot of people need the knowledge that you provide in your books.

Nick Sidorenko, Tue, 22 May 2012 04:54:31 -0400

"The computer glitch has been fixed. The price is $10 regardless where you are."

"The computer glitch has been fixed."

There you go, _always_ blaming the computer.

— the good glitch of the south, Tue, 22 May 2012 19:14:54 -0400

This model interests me. Would you mind sharing how many ebooks you've sold so far.

Remember once Stephen King tried the same thing. A dollar for the first few chapters and then if sales were good, he'd write the rest of the book. Never did take off.

— mg, Wed, 23 May 2012 17:26:04 -0400

I'm under contract to write an entire book regardless how many copies are sold during the early weeks, so the comparison with that Stephen King ebook isn't quite valid.

But I don't actually sell the books myself. O'Reilly sells the books and they don't tell me how many are sold until they pay me royalties. — Charles

Great Charles.

Will be it at Amazon? On oreilly no payPal option.

— Guest, Sat, 26 May 2012 08:05:30 -0400

For now, the book is only available on the O'Reilly site. I believe it's necessary to do it this way so that someone who buys the book now can also download the new versions later on. When the book is published in November, I assume it will be available on other outlets. — Charles

The price seems to be $50 again.

— Mark Newbery, Mon, 28 May 2012 02:40:26 -0400

Is the promotion over? I wanted to buy it today but saw only $50 price on http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0790145369079.do

SeeR, Mon, 28 May 2012 03:10:36 -0400

Based on the past two weekends, a glitch seems to occur during the overnight between Sunday and Monday when stuff is pushed to the site. It's been fixed, and the $10 price is still valid through the end of May. — Charles

Awesome.

Got it.

In first app it's seems to be different with VB.NET version of blank app (in previous experience at WinForms 2 and WPF books - VB.NET version difference will be at synthase not in structure).

For example, no way

public sealed partial class BlankPage : Page
{
public BlankPage()
{
this.InitializeComponent();
}

in VB.NET variant.

After BlankPage Inherithing Page I see only OnNavigatedTo(NavigationEventArgs e).

For save time I write in C#, I understand

'That VB book turned out to take a lot of time, and the sales were miniscule.

Read this post as disclaimer for other reader who after Winform 2 and WPF books still try to write VB.NET code by reading book.

— Guest, Wed, 30 May 2012 06:40:44 -0400