Updated Code Available for Programming Windows 6th Edition

June 4, 2012

If you purchased the Programming Windows 6th edition ebook from the O'Reilly web site, you've probably already received an email notification indicating that updated code is now available. That code can be downloaded from the book's page on the O'Reilly site. Look for the "Companion Content" link over at the right.

The ZIP file contains the earlier code and updated code in two directories:

Each of these two directories has subdirectories named CSharp, which has the C# code from the book, and CPlusPlus, which is the code converted to C++. Each of these directories has subdirectories named Chapter01 through Chapter07 for the 7 chapters of the Programming Windows 6th edition Consumer Preview eBook.

You may also be interested in my old buddy Craig Brockschmidt's Programming Windows 8 Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, the first four chapters of which are available in a free ebook.

Programming Windows, 6th Edition

Special Price through (approximately) July 2012!

For just $20, you get:

(1) the Consumer Preview ebook right now
(2) the Release Preview ebook in early August
(3) the final ebook in November

Programming Windows 6th edition
Programming Windows 6th Edition
Consumer Preview eBook

Comments:

Fantastic job, Charles!

I have to admit that after upgrading to the RCs of Windows 8 and VS Express I was expecting that I could forget about returning to your book at least until July, maybe even August. I was so wrong.

Thanks a lot for your last weekend's work and your work in general!

— Andreas, Tue, 5 Jun 2012 02:53:47 -0400

Enjoying the book so far, Charles!

One comment:

In example 3.6 I noticed a common pattern that (in my experience) is flagged during static analysis:

if (obj is FooType)
{
var foo = obj as FooType; // Check type of obj twice
// ...
}

It's marginally better to do something like:

var foo = obj as FooType; // check type of obj once
if (foo == null) return;
// ...

Looking forward to the finished product! :D

— Greg D, Tue, 5 Jun 2012 14:01:00 -0400

Charles, could you confirm if Web Services API (WWSAPI) http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/wwsapi does exist in Windows 8? If yes, will you write about it? Thank you.

— IL, Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:07:45 -0400

"my old buddy Craig Brockschmidt"

The invoker gets a failure HRESULT for identifier not found.

— InvokeHelper, Tue, 5 Jun 2012 20:13:41 -0400

Your book help me a lot to write my first Metro application, a little mathematic game, I should publish it in august. Thanks you so much for the code update as I had to show my app running on Release Preview ten days after this release at Microsoft France.

Finished reading chapter 6 today, I'm trying to modify the Keypad project. Would be nice if users can enter numbers through the real keyboard also like the Windows calculator, any idea to do that?

Merci!

Olivier, Toulouse France

Olivier, Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:00:42 -0400

To get character input from the keyboard is a bit messy. I'll have an example probably in the next installment of the book, but if you want to get a headstart, check out the CoreWindow class and the CharacterReceived event. — Charles

Add colors to StackPanelWithScrolling ;)

My variation http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5606/colorsstackpanelwithscr.png

At least letters in text box might be colored.

P.S.

Not sure, did you got it by e-mail.

P.S.S.

During writing this sample you must truly understand previous material - SimpleHorizontalStack.

— Guest, Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:07:55 -0400