“Programming Windows” 6th Edition Final Ebook Now Available

January 20, 2013
New York, NY

How long does it take to write a thousand-page programming tutorial? I began the 6th edition of Programming Windows on February 27, 2012, and subsequently worked on it pretty much full time except for the monthly installments of my MSDN Magazine column. I finished reviewing pages on the last day of 2012 and emailed the ZIP file containing all the C# and C++ sample code to my editor on the morning of January 17, 2013, officially concluding my work.

Which means that it's my pleasure to announce that the final Programming Windows 6th edition ebook and Companion Content ZIP file are now available on the O'Reilly website:

Programming Windows, 6th edition

A print edition is coming soon, but I don't know the exact release date. I suspect the book's thickness will be somewhat greater than those calipers suggest.

If you already paid for the ebook — perhaps being one of the really smart people who bought it back in May 2012 when it was only $10 — you can simply go to the book page on the O'Reilly site and download the final version. But even if you're a new buyer, Programming Windows 6th edition is well worth the modest price tag. It encapsulates about 10 months of my labor and contains lots of good stuff.

The total PDF page count is 1136, but of course some of that is pictures and code listings. Here's what the PDF version of the book looks like in the "semantic zoom" view in the Windows 8 Reader app running on a 1920 x 1080 monitor:

Comments:

When will it be on Amazon download?

— Joe, Sun, 20 Jan 2013 15:15:55 -0500

I am neither the publisher nor the distributor of the book, so this question is out of my jurisdiction, but Amazon lists a Kindle version:

— Charles

Thank you for the book!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful book!!!

It is a great book. I can't wait to get the hard copy...

I was looking at the C++ code (which is what I'm interested in) and I wonder what would be the role of Win32( WINAPI) for the future... This WinRT and C++/CX seems to be much nicer than MFC...

But what is your opinion of WinAPI... what role does it take for Windows 8 and future versions... I'm biased as I love WinAPI...

THanks!

Francisco, Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:46:40 -0500

> what is your opinion of WinAPI

People who want to code against the Win32 API can still do so, and those programs will run on the desktop on Windows 8 machines running on x86 or x64 architectures. — Charles

Congratulations. Looking forward to reading through my copy.

Muigai, Mon, 21 Jan 2013 07:56:53 -0500

Thank you for your work!

Like previous http://www.charlespetzold.com/blog/2012/05/Last-Day-for-the-10-Book-Deal.html

Look your book at my environment

(mobi and pdf file have difference title image).

P.S.

If jpg do not load - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/img20130121004.jpg/

;)

— Guest, Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:11:27 -0500

Charles are you sure about that date of January 17th? I downloaded the "final" version on January 15th from O'Reilly and internally the PDF says it was created on January 9th. I even have an email from January 15th from O'Reilly saying the final version is now available. Can you explain?

— John Pinto, Mon, 21 Jan 2013 20:06:11 -0500

Nothing you say contradicts what I said. I know you didn't download the code samples on January 15th because on that day they didn't exist anywhere except my machine. — Charles

Great book, only too bad it's too much focused on designing app layout and using XAML, rather then deep diving into the Windows Runtime, application lifetime model and integration with Windows 8 (contracts, capabilities...).

Maritn Suchan, Tue, 22 Jan 2013 03:07:29 -0500

Ahh, OK Charles, you were speaking specifically about the code samples on the 17th ... and I was referring to the Book itself on the 15th. Now I see the non-contradiction. Thanks for clearing that up. :-)

— John Pinto, Wed, 23 Jan 2013 14:21:44 -0500

Great work Sir.....thanks for yet another petzold !!!!

— Rahul, Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:44:32 -0500

My pseudonym is validated.

The book costs money but the companion content can be downloaded for free :-) :-)

(I bought the e-book.)

— Partly free, Sun, 27 Jan 2013 18:13:58 -0500

Is there any book on Windows Phone 8 from you? :-(

— Enzo Contini, Fri, 1 Feb 2013 04:43:25 -0500

I'm afraid not. — Charles

just happened to wonder if you are going to have any of these hard covers / paper backs cluttering up your space that you will be signing and dispersing to clean up the mess?

— mikko, Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:36:29 -0500

I haven't yet seen the print edition, and I don't know how many copies I'm getting, but it'll probably be a couple years before I decide to get rid of them all. I wouldn't want to interfere with the free market of book sales. — Charles

thanks

daniel ryu, Sat, 2 Feb 2013 07:54:48 -0500

Charles,

I received today (yes saturday) the "Hard Copy" (soft-cover) of your book. Great book to be added to my bookshelf. Thank you again.

Do you have any bibliography for the touch and pen chapters other than the MS Documentation?

Thanks,

Francisco, Sat, 2 Feb 2013 15:12:16 -0500

No bibliography. I suspect there is stuff in those chapters that you won't find anywhere else. — Charles.

Charles,

I hope I'm not the person who post the most in your blog.

A question. Looking at your book in multi-touch. Do you have knowledge of any multi-touch monitor that can do 10 simultaneous touch for Windows 8 that is affordable. When I mean affordable, I mean $500 dollars or less here in the US. I have some 3M Multi-Touch monitor 22 inches at my university lab but they are 1500 each.

Some multi-touch monitor I seen at affordable price, I have not been able to be certain if they can do more than 2 or 4 touches.

Thanks

Francisco R. Ortega, Fri, 8 Mar 2013 18:34:49 -0500

Don't know. — Charles

Charles,

in case if this helps anyone, here is what I found out.

Besides the 3M multi-touch monitor which works great, I found ViewSonic Touch IPS TD2340 23-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor for half the price. I haven't tested it, but it claims 10 simultaneous touch.

Francisco, Mon, 11 Mar 2013 17:41:16 -0400

Thanks! — Charles

I have windows 7 installed on my desktop and I wonder do I have to install windows 8 to read and run the code examples in the book ?

thank you.

— keen, Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:06:26 -0400

Yes! — Charles

When are you going to put the source code for this book up on the web? The book mentions it on page xxii, but there is no code at oreillys website.

Also, there are many compiler errors with your code. Maybe some things changed in VS2012 release?

One example (from pages 32 & 33):

Code for project: GradientBrushCode does not compile on MSVS2012 Pro. The following lines generate error messages:

gradientStop.Color = Colors.Blue;
    gradientStop.Color = Colors.Red;
    Color = Colors.Red
    Color = Colors.Blue

The error is the same in each case:

Error 1 The name 'Colors' does not exist in the current context C:\TestProjects\Petzold\GradientBrushCode\GradientBrushCode\MainPage.xaml.cs 34 34 GradientBrushCode

— Martin Ashford, Wed, 29 May 2013 12:11:07 -0400

1. The source code is there. On the book page of the O'Reilly web site, over at the right you'll see a link that says "Companion Content." That's where you can download the code.

2. The Colors class is in the Windows.UI namespace. Your code is missing a using directive for that namespace. See the discussion at the bottom of page 23, under the heading "The Code Alternatives" in Chapter 1.

— Charles

In these days, windows 8.1 has released ,

and ur book ( programming windows 6 th ) already

has released before windows 8.1.

this book work in windows 8.1 release version?

or I have to wait for another version of ( like,

programming windows 6 th - 2 edition : for windows 8.1 )

plz answer me

— windows 8.1, Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:00:42 -0400

Windows 8.1 (currently available in a preview release) is not a major upgrade, and everything in my book is still good. — Charles