“Programming Windows” 6ᵗʰ Edition

February 29, 2012

Yes, it's true! Later this year — but perhaps sooner than you think — Microsoft Press will be publishing the long-awaited 6th edition of one of the bestselling computer programming books of all time, Programming Windows. Considering that the 5th edition was published towards the end of the last century, it's been a long time coming!

It's no coincidence that this announcement coincides with Microsoft's release of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. The 6th edition of Programming Windows will focus on writing Windows 8 "Metro-style" applications using the C# programming language and XAML.

Moreover, my friends at Microsoft Press have come up with a unique approach to publishing this book that will get the material into the hands of programmers as quickly as possible and as cheaply as possible. I can't go into details right now, but keep your ears perked for an announcment in the next two months.

That's all I'm saying at this time. I can't dawdle here. I've got a book to write.

Comments:

Ooh, exciting! I look forward to reading some more Petzold magic....!

Dave A, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:50:20 -0500

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. And looking forward to the book.

Martin Bennedik, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:09:48 -0500

Glad to hear this, I am sure this will be another fantastic read! Will enjoy reading this on a win8 tablet while doing win8 dev!

Matt Serbinski, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:27:20 -0500

I'm going to enjoy writing it on a Win8 tablet while doing Win8 dev! — Charles

I learned Win 3.1 programming from your book, how can i miss the new edition?

Can't wait to read it

Corrado Cavalli, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:43:52 -0500

great news, looking forward to read it. congrats!

Luis Oviedo, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:28:51 -0500

Awesome! I have 3rd 4th and 5th editions on the shelf behind me. Looking forward to purchasing the 6th in "dead tree" format.

— Andy, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:43:33 -0500

It's been about 13.5 years since the 5th edition. What took so long?

— Felix, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:44:25 -0500

Just waiting for a native API with some heft to it! — Charles

Can't wait to read it!

Upps, the person above said the same...

— David Strippgen, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:51:31 -0500

I don't mind hearing it again! — Charles

Good news indeed! I'll definitely be looking forward to it's publication.

— Marcus C., Wed, 29 Feb 2012 14:31:08 -0500

> Just waiting for a native API with some heft to it! — Charles

I am not a Windows programmer. I thought that the apparent lack of a standard API was just a product of my unfamiliarity. But seeing such sentiment coming from you I can't help but wonder — Windows 7 won't disappear overnight, so what APIs should one use when writing software for previous versions of Windows?

-- your fan.

Jonas Rukh, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:17:33 -0500

The Win32 API has been solid for over 15 years. That's why there hasn't been a new edition of Programming Windows for all this time. Programs written for the Win32 API will continue to run under Windows 8.

However, Windows 8 introduces a whole new UI paradigm that is very touch oriented, and that new UI paradigm requires a new programming model, and that's what my new book will cover. — Charles

Will the entire book be dedicated to Win8 Metro style development?

— Thomas, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:28:31 -0500

Yes. (What else do you want to see in it?) — Charles

Congratulations! Even I will buy your book, Charles, no matter that it's about a dead platform! :)

I really like your books!

— miki, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:40:35 -0500

Awesome - only C# though?

— Swanand, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:39:35 -0500

I'm sure there are many other authors who will be writing Win 8 books using C++, VB, and JavaScript. I think a focused book is more valuable than one spread too thin. — Charles

A dead platform with 1.8bn installations... I think Windows has quite some life left in her yet ;)

— Mike, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:26:27 -0500

Nothing else. Perfect with a dedicated win8 book. Hope that it will have the same level of technical detail as your wpf book.

— Thomas, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:49:27 -0500

Why C# and not C++? C# is kinda 'legacy' at this point isn't it? I mean it runs, but it's not planned on having anything new, right? Where as 'going native' and C++11 is all the rage.

— MikeP, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:26:38 -0500

Would you really trust me to write a C++ book having never written about C++ before? — Charles

Good news, but something looks odd. Using C# and XAML, but dedicated to the Windows API... doing everything by P/Invoke?

— win32api@sharp.xaml.net, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 21:48:36 -0500

P/Invoke? That's for accessing the Win32 API from a .NET application. We're talking Windows 8 here, and you can indeed code in C# and XAML to access the part of the Windows 8 API known as WinRT, which looks very much like Silverlight but which is the Windows 8 API.

It's a strange new world. — Charles

I was actually hoping it would cover "Programming Windows" via C++ 11 as well. Herb Sutter is doing a great job with the going native hype. However, I've read nearly everything you've published over the past 15 years and have yet to be disappointed; so, you get the benefit of the doubt.

— Brandon, Wed, 29 Feb 2012 21:57:53 -0500

Congratulations, Charles!

Programming Windows 6th Edition is great news. I'm sure it will be the definitive book on programming WinRT; C# is the obvious choice of language.

Even though Microsoft has added many new native APIs with Windows Vista and Windows 7, I'm sure there was a lot of discussion over the years at Microsoft that the Win32 API was in need of a more modern replacement, and I'd be curious about your take on how Microsoft went about making the decision to migrate from the WinAPI to WinRT.

Thanks,

— Paul S, Thu, 1 Mar 2012 03:59:58 -0500

I don't have any insights into the internal discussions that led to WinRT, but obviously a sophisticated object-oriented API for Windows was a must, and Microsoft already had one called .NET that had been created within the Developer division. — Charles

qt is an incredible library both as a OOP piece of code and as a platform abstraction

incredible easy and powerful: speed/power of c++ with the elegance of other languages

no need to do win specific programming anymore

— chris, Thu, 1 Mar 2012 04:37:59 -0500

Hi Charles, I'm yet another fan of Programming Windows (I still have the copy I bought in India in the mid 90's.)

Since the time I first heard about WinRT, I've been hoping to read a book that targets WinRT using native code.

I do a lot of silverlight programming, so I enjoy C# as well, it would be fantastic if the book covered both approaches - not as in every example done in both languages - that would be tedious. Maybe throw in some C++ explanation and examples every few pages - that's what would make it uniquely Petzold - am sure there will be loads of superficial XAML oriented books on the market anyway.

— Vijay Tenneti, Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:32:35 -0500

I don't want to go into details right now, but readers of Programming Windows 6th edition will have the opportunity soon to provide feedback long before the final book is completed. Let me take a shot at how I think the book should be structured, and then let me know if it works or not. — Charles

I guess you'll be updating your FAQ sometime soon :)

Scott Brickey, Thu, 1 Mar 2012 09:06:38 -0500

The whole website needs to be updated. — Charles

Any MIDI SysEx in there Charles?

— Gary, Thu, 1 Mar 2012 19:34:00 -0500

I haven't seen any MIDI in there, alas, but I'll keep on looking! — Charles

Dibs on one of the author's complimentary copies.

— partly free (as in beer^H^H^H^Hcomplimentary copies), Thu, 1 Mar 2012 20:42:37 -0500

Very Nice!

— Sean Epping, Fri, 2 Mar 2012 10:32:17 -0500

I'm Very Disappointed Charles cuz Microsoft still think managed code have a chance on the client. I expected a c++/cx book from the legend but instead we get yet another c# book.

— jjjj, Fri, 2 Mar 2012 18:38:05 -0500

Are you suggesting that the book should not focus on the WinRT API? Or that I should access the WinRT API using C++ rather than C#? Or that I should simply write another Win32 book? — Charles

Hi Charles, this is really a great news for Windows developers. But like some of the other commenters, I'm also slightly confused about the choice of language. Will using C# generate the same native code as using C++ in WinRT? Will there be any difference in performance?

Jonas, Sat, 3 Mar 2012 05:25:33 -0500

it should be a WinRT API book that uses C++ to access the API. managed code and all the .net garbage is perfect for the server but not the client. come on even windows mobile is going to use NT and for sure will get ride of all the managed garbage.

— jjj, Sat, 3 Mar 2012 09:40:40 -0500

i dont know if this is possible but you can have a c# book and a c++ book as you did with windows forms when 2 books were published one using c# and the other using VB.net.

but if im to choose i would go with the c++ option but still anything you write is gold even if you used the cobol language.

— sied krisha, Mon, 5 Mar 2012 11:58:23 -0500

Jeff Richter does something similar for his books on .NET, but it's usually harder than it first seems. That VB book turned out to take a lot of time, and the sales were miniscule.

But I'm definitely thinking about a way for C++ to have role in Programming Windows 6th edition, Certainly I want as many people to buy the book as possible! — Charles

Great News!

So I'll have another programming book on my to-buy list..

— Javier Resendiz, Mon, 5 Mar 2012 16:51:22 -0500

If a C# book then should the title not be

"Programming Windows with C#", 2/e

rather than

"Programming Windows", 6/e ?

There will be numerous C# books, no doubt, but your writing talents are needed to showcase the new C++/CX extensions which wraps COM properly (19 years later).

— Marcus Rahilly, Tue, 6 Mar 2012 10:45:28 -0500

How about this? What if Programming Windows 6th edition is officially language neutral, but the book uses C# in the code examples solely because the syntax is much cleaner? (Hmmm, I have a funny feeling you're skeptical!)

Seriously, though — I'm hearing what the C++ fans are saying, and I've been giving this matter deep consideration. I'm hoping something can be done in the timeframe I'm working within. — Charles

you and your books are an essential factor that made windows the most understood operating system despite being a closed operating system. i give advice to any one to buy a book of yours not to use the source code in the book or to learn to write a beautiful code but to understand the details of the operating system. we all learnt programming windows from "Programming Windows" 5th Edition and windows 8 really really needs a similar book that give the details of the API without the use of any high layer that simplify At the expense of performance or understanding. if you can do that using c# then please do it but if the language is too high and prevent understanding the details then pls use c++.

im really happy that you are doing the sixth edition and pls forgive my bad english and i really want to thank the internet that gave me the chance to talk to the legend of windows programming. thank u

— Tarja, Tue, 6 Mar 2012 16:56:04 -0500

When i discovered this news that 6th edition will be published, i had no doubt that it would be about programming in c++/cx on windows 8, but i was really disappointed when i saw c#. I mean i have nothing against it, but really after all these years when managed code was the main thing and one decent modern native API was missing, and finally when it is created, again there is the book about programming on WinRT with c#. That is disappointing.

— Nikola Radovanovic, Wed, 7 Mar 2012 02:53:08 -0500

Charles, please, don't listen to this C++ lovers! I know that you don't like C++ (you had never been programmed anything in C++, is it true?). C++ is an terribly awful language, please don't even mention it at your book!

— NoCplusplus, Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:14:09 -0500

It is true that I have never published anything on C++ programming, but I did spend several months working on a book about Windows bitmap graphics that featured a bunch of C++ classes for working with bitmaps within an MFC app. That was about 15 years ago, and the book was eventually abandoned.

I always thought MFC was a rather paltry attempt at an object-oriented interface for Windows, and even apart from MFC, C++ has always seemed to me visually a rather unattractive language.

Today I spent some time converting several short WinRT programs to C++ just to see what it'd be like, and I must say that C++/CX seems to make C++ even uglier.

But I haven't decided what I'm going to do.

Thanks for the input. — Charles

Even uglier? I Thought so! :) Perhaps then decide for a radical change: write a book in F# - it's certainly a much more visually attractive and nicer language...

— NoCplusplus, Wed, 7 Mar 2012 16:15:00 -0500

If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right.

- Steve Jobs

I want you write the most beautiful technical book ever.

— goblins, Wed, 7 Mar 2012 17:21:42 -0500

Thanks! I'll certainly try. — Charles

Tanvir, thank you for your comment. Why I would not use WPF is three fold. Performance for one, it is still not there on Windows XP. Developer tools and speed of domelepvent second, WinForms designer in VS.NET and availability of high quality components trumps WPF. And lastly you cannot simply recompile WPF apps to WinRT. WinRT is XAML based platform, based largely on Silverlight, but different from it. I can tell you from our experience that you cannot easily even keep WPF and Silverlight components on same code base (if you want high quality ones that push platform) since they are different enough and use different hacks to be kept on same code base. So if you want to take full advantage of platform you have to go native, which is target Silverlight specifically and that is what we've done with out controls for Silverlight. So it is with WinRT, it is different enough from Silverlight that I suspect you will have to target it specifically. We should have more information on this as we develop on new platform.

Ced, Fri, 9 Mar 2012 02:47:47 -0500

I'm hoping you do a deep dive on asynchronous APIs and test driven UI devopment would be great!

— MSundt, Fri, 9 Mar 2012 17:54:23 -0500

Async methods for sure, but test-driven UI development doesn't sound like an API topic at all! — Charles

When will it ready for publishing?

And it's possible to get 'preview' download from internet?

— Aaron Huang, Sat, 10 Mar 2012 23:41:40 -0500

We (meaning Microsoft Press and I) anticipate that the final book will be published around the time that Windows 8 is released. When exactly will that be? We don't know.

Prior to that time, chunks of the book will become available. Like I said, we'll be experimenting with a unique way to "get the material into the hands of programmers as quickly as possible and as cheaply as possible." All the details are not quite in place yet, however.

Stay tuned. — Charles

you see as a Chinese windows program learner,i treat the 5th edition Programming Windows as a Bible, and so many Chinese student look for a farther edition.

volcanol, Sun, 11 Mar 2012 08:09:45 -0400

and yet another c# book that will follow the road of all your .NET books , the road to the Absurdity. what a waste !!

you wrote a book will live forever and wrote others that are dead even b4 they get birth.

— David, Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:40:47 -0400

Your readers of “Programming Windows” 5ᵗʰ Edition Edition would be mostly C and C++ programmers using the Windows API. They would naturally expect the 6th edition of “Programming Windows” to be useful to the same audience.

So my advice is either change the title, or at least add a chapter that addresses how to use WinRT with C++, how to translate C# examples into C++/CX, and how to interoperate between the languages.

Probably should be something about WinRT and Javascript too. Perhaps you could recruit other authors to contribute those chapters, or put them in a second edition.

— AndrewDover, Mon, 12 Mar 2012 00:00:17 -0400

The readers of the early editions of Programming Windows were not Windows programmers at all. They were MS-DOS programmers, and they were coding in assembly language. Windows was controvesial among programmers in the late 80s and early 90s. Many programmers didn't see a need to use a high-level language like C, and they didn't like being forced to go through an extensive API that imposed a thick layer of software between their applications and the hardware.

In short, Programming Windows advocated abandoning low-level languages and low-level APIs, and moving up. The new edition of Programming Windows must continue in that spirit.

Regarding your suggestions, I definitely will not include anything about HTML 5 and JavaScript. There will be other books aplenty focusing on that. Using HTML 5 and JS is just too dissiimilar from using XAML and C#/C++ to make sense sharing the same book.

>: how to translate C# examples into C++/CX, and how to interoperate between the languages.

Did the original edition of Programming Windows show how to code for Windows in assembly language? Or how to translate between assembly language and C? Or how to interoperate between assembly language and C? No — it was one language all the way.

When accessing the Windows Runtime, the C# and C++ code is basically the same, except that the C# code is nice and clean, and the C++ code is uglier than ever. I imagine that most C++ programmers can read the C# code and understand what it does. The opposite — not so much.

Moreover, when you suggest that the book should contain C++ examples as well as C# examples, that necessarily means that something else must get pushed off the shelf. Tell me: What topics should I eliminate from the book so that I can show examples in two languages rather than just one? — Charles

You misquoted me, I did NOT suggest including C++ examples along with C#. I suggested material that explained the differences between C# and C++ for WinRT precisely so you would not have to duplicate the examples..

I'll look elsewhere, but will come back to this book if I decide to switch to C# for WinRT. (Very unlikely.)

— AndrewDover, Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:53:36 -0400

charles is right: the time of C++ is passed. There is no a single reason that it should be mentioned in the book at all!

— NoCplusplusPlease, Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:20:13 -0400

There are always extremist at both ends. Should you decided to go c++/cx way, the other end will surely bash you for being backward. Even if you decided to cover both c++/cx and c# 50-50, you'll still end up in dilemma just like those nasty feedback thrown at your WPF book for not introducing XAML string in first chapter.

I am sure your new book will create a new generation of Windows programmer, not linguistic purist.

— dot#boy, Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:13:08 -0400

I now understand your motivation in using C# in the new book.

Maybe the MS Server and Tools Division could give the C# compiler a switch to output a C++/CX (and WRL) translation of a C# source file.

— Marcus Rahilly, Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:37:36 -0400

C++ is not passed its time.

But what people seem to be missing — IIUC — is that the focus of the book isn't about this or that programming language, it's about programming with WinRT. WinRT is equally accessible (with no P/Invoke style interop shenanigans) to C# and C++. So, if you know how to read C# achieve the same thing in C++, you can still reap 90% of the intended benefit.

— anon, Sat, 17 Mar 2012 14:35:21 -0400

i am very confused now !! are you going to use C# or C++ in the book ? please use just one language because most books which try to use 2 programming languages or more are not good. i know c++ from collage so i would love a c++ book but still i can devote some time to learn c# to get ready for your book so i really need to know the language of the book. if it is c++ then me is ready but if not then i going to start learning c#.

— laila mustafa, Sun, 18 Mar 2012 08:20:01 -0400

Re HTML5 and Javascript and WinRT and C# and .NET and C++ (managed or not) and other managed languages (IronPython et al) and Windows Forms and GDI and WPF and Silverlight and XAML and Metro and Windows Phone 7.* and Windows Phone 8 (and probably the kitchen sink):

There's a lot of confusion out there about what exactly these pieces are, how they fit together, which are obsolescent, when you should use one versus the other, etc, etc, etc.

I'd suggest writing a page or so in the introductory chapter that clarifies what's going on with these. That would be a service to the industry.

And then, of course, you'll go on to say that the rest of the book concentrates on C# and XAML and WinRT.

— Larry Smith, Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:46:26 -0400

A page or so should be plenty of room to clear up everyone's confusion and show the clear direction for the future! — Charles

Hi Charles, I can see that you are leaning towards making it purely a C# book because of its "cleaner" syntax.

But the point everyone is missing is that people don't program in C++ because of its elegance - they do it because of its power and low overhead. There's a reason Microsoft is using C++ to write WinRT, I'm sure they have plenty of good C# people around!

When writing a WinRT component in C++ we are able to call(some) lower level Win32 functions as well - as I understand it, its only at the component boundaries that we have to use WinRT interfaces. Inclusion of this sort of info is what will make the book priceless and distinct from all the other mediocre books likely to be published on Windows 8 :-)

Certainly there were books on VB when I bought my first "Programming Windows" - but real programmers went out and bought Petzold! It was written in the language (C) that was used to implement the Windows API.

— Vijay Tenneti, Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:20:05 -0400

Actually, a considerable chunk of the original Windows API — perhaps most of it — was written in assembly language, and Microsoft released a big macro library they used for this job. The first edition of Programming Windows instead targetted the highest level language you could use for Windows programming, and that was C. When I wrote that first edition, C was about as old as C# is now.

The analogy is complete. — Charles

native c = native assembly

managed c# != native winrt

so the whole analogy of yours is just wrong.

managed anything is doomed, it is over man just deal with it as Microsoft did. i know it is hard to see that the time you invested in c#, silverlight, wpf and windows mobile 7 was a waste but what can we do ?

windows mobile will be replaced with windows 8 which will the use the NT kernel and will allow native c++ development .

Microsoft learnt from its faults and from apple where the performance is more important than beauty of the code. look at object c and how ugly its compared to c# but that did not prevent the language and the platform from dominating the world.

i think this is the last chance for Microsoft to compete with apple and if i was Bill Gates i would make you write a c++ book.

— Melanie vorm, Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:56:36 -0400

"The first edition of Programming Windows instead targetted the highest level language you could use for Windows programming, and that was C."

In those days the highest level languages that you could use for Windows programming were Pascal and Fortran. C was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike the highest level. You had an excellent reason for choosing C, but your real reason was stated by Vijay Tenneti not by you:

"But the point everyone is missing is that people don't program in C++ because of its elegance - they do it because of its power and low overhead."

The same was (and often still is) true for C.

On the other hand, I don't agree with another commenter who said managed is doomed. Managed won't be doomed until Microsoft chooses to doom it like VB, Managed C++, WinForms, etc.

— partly free, partly delete[], and partly smart COM pointer, Sun, 25 Mar 2012 21:06:21 -0400

It is true that in the first Windows SDK you could use Microsoft Pascal for writing Windows applications. There was even one sample Pascal program in the SDK.

Unless my mind has really gone to hell, I don't remember Microsoft Fortran being available for Windows programming in those early days. I'm pretty sure it was several years before the Microsoft Fortran option also became available.

However, the 1987 status of Microsoft Pascal simply cannot be compared with the 2012 status of C#. — Charles

hello there

i am happy about this new edition and i wish you a good luck and think it is the time to learn C# :D

i know there are many resources and books to learn C# language but i saw your book "Programming in the Key of C#" in a book store near me and i wonder if the book have enough content about c# language to get me prepared for your upcoming winrt book?

— Armando, Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:51:06 -0400

If you know C or C++, you might get up to speed faster with my free download .NET Book Zero:

I'll probably be updating this for Windows 8, but it should be enough for now. — Charles

Paul Yao did a fine job on COM in the 4th edition of Programming Windows.

Is he available for C++/CX content for the forthcoming

edition?

— Marcus Rahilly, Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:22:50 -0400

I'm sure Paul Yao can write his own book if he so desires.

I don't understand the idea that one book has to include everything. There will surely be other books that cover Windows 8 programming from other perspectives.

I'd rather write a focused book that makes some programmers very happy, rather than a book that doesn't make anybody completely happy. — Charles

good news but the book should not require a paid version of visual studio.

— jad emirson, Wed, 4 Apr 2012 03:29:15 -0400

I'm using the version of Visual Studio downloadable here:

I don't think there is a paid version of Visual Studio that compiles Metro style apps. — Charles

Yeah but what will happen when the book gets out of beta?

— partly paid, Wed, 4 Apr 2012 20:43:33 -0400

I have no control over Microsoft's decisions concerning the pricing of Visual Studio. I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Microsoft employee. — Charles

Wow, great news Charles.

Hope also be Kindle edition of your book.

— Kyiv, Wed, 11 Apr 2012 06:14:15 -0400

C# versions of BlowUp, Scramble (and ScreenSeize) would be icing on the cake, if this was

possible.

— Marcus Rahilly, Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:33:49 -0400

ScreenSeize? Really? Press the Windows key and PrtScn, and Windows 8 deposits a screenshot in PNG format into your Pictures directory. — Charles

Many thanks for that Charles.

— Marcus Rahilly, Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:11:21 -0400

hello CP; when i read the fifth edtion of the book "Programing Windows" you have show a exp to calculate the numbers of colors

iColors = 1 << (iPlanes * iBitsPixel);

and i have declare the varibale iColors like that:

unsigned long int iColors;

when i use this exp in windows 7 within VS 2008 Enterprise;

i get the result of 1.

does this exp have some special features.

volcanol, Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:09:48 -0400

Is this the end of the C++ windows programming? Or just in addition to it?

S.E. Foulk, Sun, 22 Apr 2012 15:09:52 -0400

If you want your Metro style application to use DirectX, you'll be coding in C++, so it's hardly the end of C++. — Charles

Hi Charles - I really want to express my appreciation for you reading and responding to the comments - and actually considering the feedback. It's so refreshing! I believe Win7 was so successful b/c the team took this same mindset, while the Win8 team is only doing this to broadcast what they plan to do - and that's why it will do poorly IMO.

That's why so many programmers are revisiting C++, all other major vendors use it: Amazon, Apple, even Google. Programmers no longer want to put all their eggs in one basket. C++ requires more effort and looks ugly compared to C#, but outside of vendors additions the code is cross platform. I would gladly buy a book that chopped out some content to provide room for C++.

Thanks again, Charles!

— Scott, Mon, 30 Apr 2012 09:35:15 -0400

>I don't think there is a paid version of Visual Studio that compiles Metro style apps. �?" Charles

>I have no control over Microsoft's decisions concerning the pricing of Visual Studio.

Charles can you tell Microsoft (as MVP) that will be good that express version of Visual Studio 2011 still be win32 compilation (not only Metro App)?

Thanks.

— Guest, Sat, 26 May 2012 08:11:00 -0400

If I ran Microsoft, most of the development tools would be free because they pay for themselves in aiding in the development of applications that help popularize and sell the operating systems.

But I assure you that I have absolutely no influence — either as an author or an MVP — over any decision made by Microsoft. I have been struggling to recall any times where I have influenced a Microsoft decision over the past 27 years, and I can't think of a single example. — Charles

Sir

But I don't like C#.

I just love to program in C/C++ because I think we have less control of the windows environment using non-Native language.

Bhisham Kumar, Sun, 8 Jul 2012 17:26:07 -0400

Then by all means program for Windows 8 in C++. — Charles

When can we get the source code of this book.

Arun Nandy, Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:53:54 -0400

Go to the page where you purchased the book:

Click "Companion Content" in the "Essential Links" area. — Charles

Hi Charles,

I learnt the Windows API from a tutorial that forced me to learn C. I actually desired to create Windows applications and I already had some insight on procedural programming concepts.

Now I want to know why everything Win32 API is pure C. Also, your popular book has C concepts only.

Why?

Vijay Kanta, Sat, 28 Jul 2012 07:08:22 -0400

What language would you prefer? — Charles

I would code only in C as I have come to know C itself is a mega ocean that is immensely rewarding when programmed well. Also, it serves my purposes and requirements to the point perfectly.

P.S: I just do not like the Classes concept. ;-p