2-4-6-8-10

April 23, 2012

If you've been following my blog, you know that for the past few months I've been working on the 6th edition of Programming Windows, which focuses on writing Metro style applications for Windows 8 using C# and XAML.

Obviously the book won't be completed until later this year, but in the meantime Microsoft Press has come up with a way for you to buy this book and get early content for a tiny amount of money. I think of this plan as:

2 weeks
4 all eager programmers
Programming Windows 6th edition
Windows 8
$10

Here's what it all means: For two weeks — from May 17th through May 31st — you will have the opportunity to purchase the Programming Windows 6th edition ebook for just $10. What you get for that $10 is:

After May 31st, you can still purchase the Programming Windows 6th edition ebook, but it's going to cost more than $10. That $10 price is only available between May 17th and May 31st. The Microsoft Press blog presents the complete run-down and schedule.

Mark your calendar or set a reminder for May 17th. I'll have more details and a link (of course) in the weeks ahead.

Comments:

Awesome news!!!

Anxiously awaiting May 17th!!!

— Tio Luiso, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:46:53 -0400

Great news, I'm definitely buying :)

Jani Mäkinen, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:53:21 -0400

Great news!!!

I'm also waiting for 17th May!!!

Eugenio Estrada, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:55:02 -0400

Please remind us all on May 17. I would have happily plunked down my $10 today if I could have:)

— Scott Seely, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:19:11 -0400

Don't worry that I'm going to let the two weeks pass by without a plethora of announcements! — Charles

Great News!

Sean Epping, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:15:20 -0400

Great stuff. Is this the longest ever gap between book editions (14 years if I'm not mistaken)?! BTW I've just purchased your "Applications = Code + Markup" book (2nd hand, it's sadly out of print) for the sole reason that it concentrates on code first before XAML. Will the 6th Ed follow the same format?

— Martin Rennix, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:43:57 -0400

I am still intent that programmers know how to instantiate controls in C#, etc, but these days I think it's better to develop skills in both XAML and C# in unison from Chapter 1. — Charles

I'm looking for how to purchase it, and I can't find that information anywhere.

— Christian Jones, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:06:48 -0400

Nevermind, I got my dates mixed up, for some reason I was thinking we were in May already.

— Christian Jones, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:12:43 -0400

I'll have plenty of updated information as the date approaches. — Charles

You had me at 'Programming Windows'. Now, please, take my money.

— Woods, Sat, 28 Apr 2012 07:36:10 -0400

this is cool...

just a question.. I haven't read any of your previous books.. so does this book assume that the user has read a previous edition of the book or whether the user has knowledge for Win32 API?

— _nedR, Sun, 6 May 2012 18:43:31 -0400

The only prerequisites are C# and XML. — Charles

"The only prerequisite are C# and XML"

I know C#, but not XML. So, will I be able to just pick up your book and learn WinRT programming? Or do I need to learn XML first? If so, can you suggest a good reference to learn XML?

Jonas, Thu, 10 May 2012 03:21:24 -0400

The XML you need is minimal. Probably the first half of the Wikipedia article on XML, supplemented with the article on XML namespaces, is sufficient. — Charles

Great News!!!!